My mother was a shoot from the hips kind of person. She wasn’t cruel or mean. But was always straight forward. These are some of the things my mom used to say when I was growing up:
- Never try to live up to anyone else standards of you. For they are going to place the bar impossible high. Higher than they hold it for themselves. In attempting this you are bind to fail. Live up to your own standards of yourself and then you will know what’s expected of you.
- Let no one make or cause you feel bad about yourself nor make you ashamed of who you are because regardless of their self-appraisal they aren’t any better than you.
- People talked about Jesus and he was the son of God they certainly are going to talk about you and anyone who believes them isn’t a loss as a friend. They were never one from the beginning. Don’t waste valuable time to listening to them.
- Let no one tell you what you can and can’t do. You know your limits. Even if you make a mess the first time. Try again and again until you get it right.
- True compassion is learned through suffering. Those who have never suffered rarely have any. You’re wasting your time trying to instill any in them. They will have to learn it just as everyone else.
- It never hurts to help someone but be wise enough to know when someone is taking you for granted.
- Mean people get far in high school but that’s about as far as they go. They’ve never learned how to effectively communicate with others. Nor how to be productive citizens of the world.
- Narcissistic people are like a Fabergé egg, beautiful but hollow on the inside and brittle and fragile on the outside.
- Be thankful for your blessings no matter how small and insignificant they may seems.
- It doesn’t hurt to say a kind greeting to all you meet. It doesn’t matter if they returns one. Keeping moving. It’s their loss in never getting to know you.
- Instead of always looking for criticism; try looking for something positive. Criticism is cheap and very easy to find. Praise is not, you should be stranded on a deserted island with a bunch of chimps and birds as your sole companions and one of them is sooner or later going to point out what you’re doing wrong.
- No one is ever going to give you permission to be yourself. That’s a liberty one must take for themselves and be brave enough to withstand the consequences.
- Be kind to others and someone will be kind to you.
- Before self diagnosing yourself as suffering from low self-esteem or depression, evaluate your situation and be sure you aren’t simply surrounded by negative people.
- Never try to figure out why someone do not like, just make sure that you likes you. Whatever their reasons maybe it is their problem, not yours. So do not claim it as yours.