The hardest thing to select for a series is the signature cover. The one that will eventually become the icon of the series. Before making a final pick, I selected hundreds of pictures. Even drove about my area and snapped a few pictures but it was hard coming up with one that truly expressed the story. Every one I submitted to the publishers they sent it back saying, “No, it won’t work.”
They said it wouldn’t work because it’s not like the woman is in the Twilight Zone. That this is a serious story not a smiling, happy story. Not a blood and gore story either. But a story of horror hidden in plain daylight.
I was told if I didn’t come up with one soon they were going to select one. So I gave in sent the one I copyrighted along with the manuscript. I didn’t realize I already had what they were looking for all along.
The frustration in finding an iconic image is what led to my meeting Ann Harden. A friend told me she knew a professional artist and perhaps she would help me as a favor to her.
I didn’t submit the original one I selected because of everywhere I read online regarding book covers people were saying white or light covers with people on front performed better. I knew nothing about publishing so I just assumed those who had published before knew better than I.
So the parable in this story is go with your first instinct. No one knows your book better than you.
This is an experimental cover of the first book it was intended to be white and it doesn’t go well with the story. Despite the popular online adage, that white covers and fonts goes well with everything. No, they don’t go well with everything. It depends upon the theme of the story what goes well with it.
I’ve learned when presenting a book to the public at book signing or presentation. To a public who can’t see it well from the distant between you and them brilliant colors always attract the general public more than plain white. Colors make them stop and take notice every time.
I sent them this one. It was rejected and I’m glad it was. I didn’t create the wording. They did the fonts to show me how transferring the letters and coloring selected would look on this one.
The experimental cover.